Monday, October 27, 2008

A Truth Universally Acknowledged

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

. . . or a bowl of fried apples with bourbon caramel.

. . . topped with some cinnamon whipped cream. Happy fourth wedding anniversary, baby! Here's to another wonderful year.

Fried Apples with Bourbon Caramel
Adapted from The Lee Bros. Cookbook, winner of the 2007 James Beard Foundation Cookbook of the Year Award

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/8 inch slices
1/4 cup water
1/8 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus 1/4 teaspoon for cinnamon whipped cream
1/4 cup heavy cream, plus 1/2 cup for whipped cream
1/8 cup Kentucky bourbon

Heat the butter over medium-high heat in a heavy-bottomed medium-sized skillet until the froth begins to fade and the butter begins to turn gold around the edges. Add the apples and stir to coat in the butter. Cook over medium-high heat until the apples begin to soften, between 3 and 5 minutes.

Stir in the water, brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, then continue to cook until the liquids have reduced almost completely to a thick film on the bottom of the pan, about 6 minutes. Add the 1/8 cup of heavy cream and stir, then cook until the juice is syrupy, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the bourbon. Allow the skillet to rest for 1-2 minutes, which will allow the alcohol to evaporate.

Meanwhile, beat the remaining 1/2 cup of cream and the 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon in an upright mixer on high speed until the whipped cream holds stiff peaks.

Serve the apple slices in a shallow bowl with plenty of the bourbon caramel spooned over them, then top with a generous dollop of cinnamon whipped cream.

* With thanks to Jane Austen for the title and opening sentence of this post.

8 comments:

grace said...

that's one heck of an anniversary dessert. there's no doubt it'd be one reason he's glad he married you. :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Happy anniversary! And what a dessert to celebrate on. Delicious!

Puzzles to Print said...

Yum. That's good stuff I can tell. If anyone needs more tips on how to make whipped cream I just did this page that fully explains it: whipped cream recipe. A bientot.

krysta said...

happy anniversary! i'd marry you too if you made me that!

muddywaters said...

Congrats on the anniversary.

I love the Lee Brothers. I saw them this summer on Anthony Bourdain. How fun would it be to have them as your personal guide to Charleston.

I like the recipe. I'll be honest - I haven't cooked any of the recipes you've posted. I just really enjoy your writing. However, I will try this one. It's simple, easy and probably much more flavorful than my baked Snicker apple recipe.

I really like bourbon in sauces. I make a bread pudding with a bourbon sauce. I'll let you know when I try this recipe.

Thanks,
muddy

Sarah said...

Grace: Thanks! Yes, Steve knows a good catch when he sees one ;)

Foodycat: Thank you! It's very easy to make, too; it's good dinner party food.

Bricogirl: Merci! I'll check it out.

Krysta: Thanks! :)

Muddywaters: I saw the same episode; love the Lee Bros, love Anthony Bourdain. Love Charleston, too, although I've never been. I can just tell I'd get along well in the town. I hope that you will post about your bread pudding; sounds terrific!

muddywaters said...

Last night we made the apples, and they were a big hit with my four-year-old daughter. After she took a bite, she promptly asked for the recipe and declared that she would be having seconds. Unfortunately, there were no leftovers, but next time we'll double the recipe.

I like the downsized recipe because it's enough for two, and you don't have leftovers tempting you throughout the week.

I skipped the whipped cream, and served them with a dollop of ice cream. My daughter chose to eat her bowl without any topping.

Next week I might belly her up to the stove, and teach her how to make these. I might even post about it.

Sarah said...

Excellent! If a four-year-old likes it, you know you've done well :) I hope that you will teach your daughter to make these and post about it; I love hearing about kids learning to enjoy cooking! It's so important for all of us to pass on a love for home-cooked meals.