Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Avocado. It's What's for Breakfast.

I am a believer in the school of thought that any food can be a breakfast food.

There is no reason to limit yourself to traditional "breakfast foods" first thing in the morning. Some of those foods, like pancakes and syrup, are out of place anyway, when you really think about it. Batter and syrup? Doesn't that sound like dessert to you? (I'm not saying that is wrong, by the way; no one has eaten more cookies for breakfast than yours truly).

Some foods are more pleasant to eat right after you wake up than others, I will concede that point. I have never woken up and thought to myself, "If only I had some sushi right now." But maybe that is because I have never tried it.

Other foods snuggle right up to my breakfast eggs. Take the avocado, for example. Avocado subs in as a breakfast food quite naturally. It's creamy, it's not sugary, and it doesn't make my coffee taste weird.

Last weekend, I had an avocado on hand, so I prepared this wholesome breakfast. Since it does not require much of a recipe, I'll just tell you what to do: poach an egg in 1 1/2 inches of gently simmering water with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar for about 4 minutes. Pit an avocado and scoop it out onto a plate. Add a few grape tomatoes and a sprig of basil to the plate. Lift the egg from its poaching liquid with a slotted spoon and allow it to drain for a few seconds. Place the egg on the plate and sprinkle a bit of sea salt over it.

Pour yourself a cup of coffee and dig in.

4 comments:

dp said...

When all my friends were eating pancakes and bacon for breakfast, we were having rice, a fried egg and a big dollop of hot sauce for breakfast. Hubby likes his pancakes for dinner (less sweet European style). And I would venture to say that avocados for breakfast is probably a common thing south of the border. I'd have no problems eating it for breakfast, that's for sure.

BTW, your sushi comment made me laugh because I actually did wake up and say I wanted sushi for breakfast. Of course I'd just given birth some hours before and hadn't had it for a long long time.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Avocado for breakfast sounds good to me! I like it squashed on sourdough toast with a good shake of tabasco and some salt.

Mind you, I also like congee, dhal & idli, hummus topped with spicy lamb, or agadashi tofu and rice for breakfast. Savoury is good!

bb said...

cookies for breakfast....who hasn't gone there?! your's simple delight looks delish. also like your varied choice of morning reading material!

Kelly said...

Yummy..I really don't care for 'normal' breakfast eats. I really want something hot and savory. Sometimes, I eat up some leftovers from the night before. This suits me much better. For instance the other day for breakfast, I had leftover kabobs with herbed rice and generous cupful of strong coffee. :)